In the middle of the 19th centrury James Thompson - an engineer at the waterworks in Grays, Essex, came to live on the Isle of Dogs in Maria Street, Millwall.
In 1888, in partnership with his eldest son James - an apprenticed blacksmith - they founded Thompson & Son in Hutchins Street, Millwall to undertake machinery and repairs, in particular on boilers and other steam vessels.
By 1929, the company had progressed with Frederick and Edgar Thompson, who took over one of their customer's companies - a machinery merchant.
In 1938, the company name was changed to Thompson & Son (Millwall) Ltd, with three directors - James, Frederick and Edgar Thompson. By the advent of the Second World War, a great deal of presses and valves were built for hydraulics and the manufacture of metal forming, plastics and rubber moulding.
Thompson & Son is still very much a family business, with Andrew and Bill Thompson. Maintaining and refurbishing pumps and presses are the main staple of the daily work.
Do you want to know more about our hydraulic repairs and maintenance? Call us on 020 7732 3874